When packing for a move in Southern California, you are likely going to need a considerable number of boxes for shipping and other packaging materials to keep your items safe and intact. These items can cause stress to the environment, and limiting their usage or finding eco-friendly alternatives can help toward eliminating any unnecessary waste. This can also ultimately reduce any potential negative impact that your move might have on the environment, so choosing eco-friendly boxes and supplies can help to reduce your environmental footprint.
The most extensively used packing material is the shipping box. Cardboard is a great, eco-friendly option because it is easily recyclable and can be reused. Before heading to your shipping supply store for large or small shipping boxes, check to see if you have any around your home that can be reused. When you do have to purchase boxes, check to see what environmentally friendly options your local packaging store carries, and be sure to purchase those brands.
Other Tips and Materials
There are a variety of other ways that you can complete your move or ship items in an eco-friendly manner.
- Use packing tapes made of natural rubber, as these tapes are both biodegradable and renewable.
- Most foam packaging and bubble wrap is non-recyclable. Therefore, try to use reusable alternatives as often as possible. These can include pillows, blankets, or newspapers.
- If you are moving items to a new home, use your clothing as an alternative packing material option. Clothes can be used to cushion belongings, and they can also save you the use of a few boxes that, otherwise, may have been used to pack your clothing.
- Packing peanuts come in biodegradable and non-biodegradable options. Be sure that you are selecting the most eco-friendly option when you are visiting your local Southern California shipping or packaging store.
- Research other biodegradable packaging materials that you can use during your move, including quilted, cotton-filled pads. The moving industry is continuing to become greener, and new, environmentally friendly options are being added to the market all the time.
- When moving, use a moving vehicle that runs on biodiesel fuel. While not all Southern California moving companies will offer this option, others will in order to allow a greener moving experience.
- Before you move, make sure that any hazardous materials at your old home have been disposed of appropriately, including paint, batteries, motor oil, cleaning supplies, and antifreeze.